ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and XIV

2010-09-29 07:57:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and XIV
From: "Bruce T. Harvey" <bruce.harvey.nonemployee AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:56:29 -0400
the only thing I remember from working on a test using DB2 is that you
need to carefully match the data read and write sizes to the XIV's sizes
to make sure the reads and writes happen in 'one go' ... no double-taps to
get or put data.  that and making sure your fibre paths are separate (as
always) from tape drives.

Many thanks!

Bruce T.

Bruce T. Harvey
AIX Network Engineer

Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
09/29/10 07:47 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] TSM and XIV

Hi all,

I'm currently testing TSM 5.5.4 on AIX 5.3 with an IBM XIV box.

When I use dd or other tools to copy data off the disk to tape (LTO4), we
get quite a good performance, 100 MB/s or better. Even when backing up
data
on the XIV via shared memory directly to tape, we're quite happy, we can
read the data at over 100 MB/s for one backup job, and for over 200 MB/s
for
two jobs. But, when TSM uses the XIV for DISK volumes, we're not in a
happy
place, backing up data from one XIV to TSM with diskpool on another XIV,
we
get about 55 MB/s per backup job, best case. Both XIV boxes are otherwise
completely idle. When migrating data of the diskpool to tape, it's the
same,
no matter what we do, we don't even get close to the LTO4 native
performance, about 70 MB/s is the best I've seen, and usually it's less.
The
TSM server is at that time only running the migration, nothing else.

The stragest thing we notice is that TSM seems to completely pause every
so
often, no disk i/o, no tape i/o no cpu utilization, nothing for about one
second, and the it goes again. When I let two migration processes run,
this
is less obvious, because one process continues while the other one pauses.

We've opened a hardware call with IBM to find out if there are any
settings
on the hdisks or HBAs that we need to change, and even though we did get
some hints, and some performance improvement out of that, we fell that TSM
should be able to do a lot better.

Does anyone else have experience with XIV as a diskpool? and if so, what
sort of performance do you see?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to
you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error,
please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the
sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and
thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. The
postal address for PNC is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not
wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at
this e-mail address, click here to unsubscribe.