ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Using copy pool (device class FILE)

2010-09-28 02:07:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] FW: [ADSM-L] Using copy pool (device class FILE)
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:06:10 +0300
>Unfortunately, I do not have enough disk space at HO, but it is available at
>DRS.

>So only next option is available for me:

>    1) mount file system on AIX server at Disaster Site, where disaster TSM
> Server is activated in case of disaster;

>    2) create NFS file system on TSM Server at Head Office (we have 1Gb
> Ethernet connection between HO and DRS);

>    3) create FILE device class for NFS file system at HO;

>    4) create copy pool in NFS file system at HO;

>    5) backup primary pools to remote copy pool daily at HO.

>After Disaster Site activation and starting disaster TSM Server (mirrored by
>PPRC from HO) file system for copy pool will be available as a local JFS2 file
>system.

>Unfortunately, I have some questions about this configuration:

>    1) how about performance during writing to NFS file system? Maybe some
> special configuration is required for NFS client/server?

>    2) Will TSM Server use NFS file system at HO and JFS2 file system at DRS
> without recreating device class?

I have implemented remote copy pool based on FILE device class (NFS file
system) successfully.

After tuning NFS under AIX (read/write buffers are 64K on the both NFS client
and server) I am able to reach up to 60Mb/s via 1Gb Ethernet.

I think this is very good result (at least it is more than it was expected).
Note maximum performance is reached for 2 parallel reclamation processes on
remote copy pool or for 4 backup storage pool processes to remote copy pool.

Grigori G. Solonovitch

Senior Technical Architect

Information Technology  Ahli United Bank Kuwait http://www.ahliunited.com.kw

Phone: (+965) 2231-2274  Mobile: (+965) 99798073  E-Mail: Grigori.Solonovitch
AT ahliunited DOT com

Please consider the environment before printing this Email

________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY AND WAIVER: The information contained in this electronic mail
message and any attachments hereto may be legally privileged and confidential.
The information is intended only for the recipient(s) named in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use, disclosure,
copying or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this in error
please contact the sender and delete this message and any attachments from your
computer system. We do not guarantee that this message or any attachment to it
is secure or free from errors, computer viruses or other conditions that may
damage or interfere with data, hardware or software.

Please consider the environment before printing this Email.