ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.

2010-09-25 09:04:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.
From: Steven Langdale <Steven.Langdale AT CAT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:03:35 +0100
Hello

To add a little to Roberts correct reply.

I don't know how much you have read about TSM, so forgive me if I'm
covering old ground...

TSM has a database with details about every file or object that has been
backed up.  It knows where the file is, when it was backed up, version
information and if it's still a live file.

If you want to restore data (or the whole thing) from 13 days ago - i.e.
your 15th day in your example, you perform a point in time restore.  This
will query the TSM database for what files we active at the time, order
the list to minimise tape mounts, and start restoring your data.

As you can appreciate, the database is the KEY bit, which is why it's so
important that it is secured and backed up every day.

Steven

Robert Ouzen <rouzen AT UNIV.HAIFA.AC DOT IL>
25/09/2010 09:37
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Need to understand TSM restoration concept.

Caterpillar: Confidential Green Retain Until: 25/10/2010

Check the option "point in time"

Robert Ouzen