ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape and disk traffic in FCoE Adapters

2010-09-14 13:28:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape and disk traffic in FCoE Adapters
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:26:18 +0200
Hi,

one of the major issues is that tape drives, most notably older and cheaper
drives, tend to 'misbehave'. Some send out a scsi reset after each dismount,
causing your disk traffic to stop. And I've heard even worse stories.

Another thing is that modern drives have no problems moving 200 MB/s, so even a
8 Gb/s HBA is no overkill. I would never use VIO with the TSM traffic, you need
so big a VIO server, that an extra HBA is cheaper.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl