ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tape and disk traffic in FCoE Adapters

2010-09-14 09:45:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tape and disk traffic in FCoE Adapters
From: "Bruce T. Harvey" <bruce.harvey.nonemployee AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 09:44:14 -0400
To my way of thinking, if you have a single pathway (no matter how it
"looks" to other environments), you'd like to keep the same type of
traffic on that pathway and not mix disk and tape.

I'd keep tape and disk on separate physical adapters ... virtualize as
much as you like, but separate the traffic behavior on different hardware.
 At least for now.  ;-)

Of course, I may be wrong.  But unless there are features that negate the
effect of the different behavior when it's virtualized, separate.

Many thanks!

Bruce T.

Bruce T. Harvey
AIX Network Engineer
PNC Bank @ Rivertech
office         301-699-4013
facsimile  301-887-4070
mobile      443-465-1204

Mehdi Salehi <ezzobad AT GMAIL DOT COM>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
09/14/10 09:35 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Tape and disk traffic in FCoE Adapters

Hi,
It is always recommended to separate tape and disk traffic in TSM
environments. How about when adapters are NPIV logical HBAs? Does it make
sense to assign two logical adapters (one for disk and another for tape)
from a single adapter port to an AIX partition? The adapter is an 8Gb/s FC
or a 10Gb/s CNA.

Thank you,
Mehdi

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to
you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error,
please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the
sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and
thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. The
postal address for PNC is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not
wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at
this e-mail address, click here to unsubscribe.