ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] single drive restore possibilities

2010-09-09 12:15:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] single drive restore possibilities
From: Nicholas Rodolfich <NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:14:01 -0500
Hello All,

Thanks for your help!!

I have a client that selected TSM  to replace their CA/Brightstore product.
When we showed up for the kickoff meeting, the IT manager said that he wants to
be able to create full backups of his mission critical servers when a hurricane
enters the gulf and wants to be able to take a single drive with him to an
alternate location to do his restores. He is adiment about not having to have
his full offsite copy pool with him to restore his mission critical systems. We
tried to explain how TSM prevented the need for second guessing disasters but
he wouldn't bite. He stated that he is willing to have someone feed tapes into
the single drive for however long it takes.

I have always been with large organizations that plan on restoring their TSM
server first and then all of the clients during DR testing for the real thing.

I don't know of any way to do this with since TSM wants a drive to be assigned
to a library.

I thought of exports but that also requires a TSM server.

1. How would one use a single drive to restore the TSM server first and then
the clients? Is this possible at all?
2. Is a backupset a viable restore option without a server?

I have read up on backupsets but the doc is not clear as to what is required on
the client.  I suppose an adapter of some sort (scsi or fiber) a cable, a
drive, an installed OS and TSM client and then restore directly from the
backupset tape using the TSM b/a client.

Any light shed on this situation would be appreciated

Regards,

Nicholas Rodolfich