ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Backing up Exchange 2007 with TSM

2010-08-19 10:01:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] Backing up Exchange 2007 with TSM
From: Eric Vaughn <EVAUGHN AT STEVENSON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:57:28 -0400
Hello,
Can anyone give me insight as to what products TSM has in conjunction with
backing up Exchange 2007 with TSM? We have migrated off of groupwise and now
have implemented Exchange. My concern with using the windows Baclient that we
normally use with TSM will not back up exchange they way I would like. Since
TSM would be backing up exchanges .edb files and transaction logs my concern is
that the initial 700 gb backup will potentially grow out of control, even if I
stager days. Does ibm offer a product that reads just the incremental changes
of the database files as to limit the massive amount of space rather than
backing up each .edb file each night, since tsm will see it as a new file and
not a change (since TSM does incremental changes)? Or does anyone have any
guidance as to what they have implemented? I also don't believe that a snapshot
would be a solution either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Eric Vaughn
System Administrator
Stevenson University
44-334-2301

Stevenson University 1525 Greenspring Valley Road, Stevenson MD 21153-0641
1-877-468-6852