ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

2010-08-10 18:58:09
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:56:33 -0400
I concur with "TSM User" on the policy settings: everything is being kept
forever while the file exists on the live file system; after the file is
deleted from the live file system, the next incremental backup operation
will cause the latest backup version to expire (become inactive).

Proper retention depends on the needs of the business. One very simple
example might be to express retention needs in terms of restore
requirements, e.g., we need to be able to restore any file form backups
taken up to 30 days ago. In this case, you can configure TSM with settings
like this:

*How many different versions of the file should be kept? NOLIMIT
(corresponds to the VEREXISTS copygroup setting)

* Number of days to keep inactive versions 30
(corresponds to the RETEXTRA copygroup setting)

For backup files that a user has deleted from the client node:
* Number of file versions to keep NOLIMIT
(corresponds to the VERDELETED copygroup setting)

* Amount of time to keep the last file version 30
("last" refers to the latest backup copy made before the file was deleted;
corresponds to the RETONLY copygroup setting)

TSM *always* keeps the latest ("active") backup version as long as the file
exists on the live file system, regardless of the RETEXTRA setting. When a
new backup copy of a file is made, the prior backup copy is made "inactive"
and becomes subject to VEREXISTS and RETEXTRA settings. Inactive versions
are removed depending on which of the VEREXISTS or RETEXTRA criteria are
reached first.

For example, suppose VEREXITS is 5 and RETEXTRA is 30. You perform daily
backups. If the file changes every day, it will be backed up every day. On
day 6, the 6th backup version will be made. Because VEREXISTS is 5, the
oldest backup version is expired, regardless of the RETEXTRA setting.

On the other hand, if VEREXISTS is NOLIMIT and RETEXTRA is 30 (like my
sample settings above), then on day 31, when the 31st backup copy is made,
the oldest backup version is expired, regardless of the RETEXTRA setting.

Why restores need multiple tapes is hard to say since we don't have
specifics on your scenario; that is, whether you are basing this on an
actual restore where you noted a large number of mounts, or if you are just
looking at the number of tapes on which a given client has backup data.

In general, if the number of tapes mounted to perform a restore operation
seems excessive, then consider enabling collocation, which will optimize
the number of tapes on which a given node's data is kept (this won't happen
overnight, but occurs over time as TSM subsequently places data on the
tapes). You can collocate by node (all of a given node's data on an
optimized number of tapes) or collocate by file space (backups for each
file system are kept on an optimized number of tapes). As new backup copies
are made and old ones expire, over time the amount of expired data on the
tapes will increase, leaving fewer and fewer valid backup copies; thus the
tape becomes less and less utilized. Inventory expiration and reclamation
should be performed regularly to consolidate these volumes. Alternative
options are available, as others have pointed out, to help optimize restore
processing. In addition, you can also improve restore performance by using
multisession restores, which allow multiple restore sessions (one tape per
session), based on the MAXNUMMP (maximum number of mount points) setting
for the node and the RESOURCEUTILIZATION setting in the node's dsm.opt
file. The number of concurrent tape mounts/restore sessions is, of course,
also dependent on the number of available tape drives.

Good luck,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2010-08-10
13:35:28:

> From: TSM User <user.tsm AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
> Date: 2010-08-10 13:40
> Subject: Re: NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> If I'm reading what you wrote in the first post correctly, then you're
> keeping every version of every file ever created, so long as there is
still
> a version of the file active on a client.  And when a file gets deleted
on
> the client, you're immediately purging every version of that file from
the
> database.  (In this case, "immediately" actually means "during the first
> expiration once a backup has run and detected that the file is gone.")
So

<tsm-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>wrote:

> > wow, so it really is as clear as mud..  :D
> >
> > my assumption of the retention taking that many tapes was understood by
me
> > to be a function of not only the shelf life (retention) but the
reclamation
> > (no we don't use collocation, which I'm well aware we should)
shotgunning
> > those data bits across a large number of tapes; if all this is true,
without
> > a large increase in tape library capacity (we have 252 slots) or a
large
> > increase in disk resources, is there an easy way to fix it?  If not,
I'm
> > inclined to scrap it all and put in NBU for backups going forward.
saving
> > the argument on which is better, I'm an NBU guy and a staff of one, and
my
> > inclination is if I'm spending buckets of cash, I'm doing it in a way
I'm