ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help

2010-08-10 12:11:50
Subject: [ADSM-L] NBU guy in TSM shop and I need help
From: ego3456 <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:53:35 -0400
I'm trying to understand why there are so many tapes required for restore and
have started to look at one aspect of our management classes.

this is the setup in question:

Backup Versions
__________________
Days between backups    = 0

_______________________

How many different versions of the file should be kept?

No limit
_________________

Number of days to keep inactive versions

No limit
_________________________

For backup files that a user has deleted from the client node:

Number of file versions to keep

This number of versions : 0
_____________________________

Amount of time to keep the last file version

This number of days: 0

under this configuration is it really keeping all files forever?  I'm so lost
on this its not funny and the conversion from NBU to TSM seems like going from
a working system to a broken system even though i know its just bad
configuration that is the cause its becoming hard for me not to throw the baby
out with this bathwater and start fresh with a simple NBU system (simple
because i know it backward and forward not because its better per se.. i really
am trying hard to make this TSM configuration work)

Thanks for any help you can give.

-eric