ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Sanity check: Archive retentions

2010-08-04 08:23:51
Subject: [ADSM-L] Sanity check: Archive retentions
From: Nick Laflamme <dplaflamme AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 07:23:02 -0500
It looks like some of my predecessors set up some rather liberal retention
policies for some archive management classes. Of particular interest are our
management classes for DB2 clients, who only use archiving for their database
transaction logs. We've talked with the DBAs, and they agree that there's no
reason to archive transaction logs for 365 days.

My reading of the TSM 5.5 manuals makes me think that when I update the archive
management classes to lower the RetVer values, this will only matter for
archiving activities after the change; the change does not effect objects
already archived. They're not rebound for the the changes in the management
class. Is this correct?

I don't doubt that we need to make this change; I just want to manage
expectations about how soon we'll see a decrease in storage used as a result.

Thanks,
Nick