ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade TSM 5 -> 6 : pre-requisite

2010-07-14 01:39:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Upgrade TSM 5 -> 6 : pre-requisite
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:39:01 +0300
Hello David,

I think the best option for your case is:

- upgrade existing server to the latest 5.5 version (5.5.4.0 now);

- migrate upgraded instance to new server (just hardware upgrade) or keep it on
existing server at all;

- upgrade all clients to version 6.2.1 (as a preparation for TSM Server
upgrade). Note, it can be quite long action and it depends on current client
versions (no information in your message);

- wait till TSM Server 6.2.X will be matured enough (newer DB2 version, much
newer TSM Client, etc, but quite new now).

In other case, if you are still going to upgrade to 6.X:

1)     upgrade to latest 5.5 version will be still required to make upgrade
easier;

2)     do not upgrade to version 6.1.X (I think it is obsolete version - still
unstable);

3)     upgrade straight way to 6.2.1 (it is supported), but keep in mind:

?     6.2.1 installation is not easy (you need to read all documentation
carefully and special training in test environment is required);

?     6.2.1 upgrade is very complicated task (not straight way, complicated and
long). You have to be ready for some TSM Server downtime ;

?     6.2.1 is much more heavy application from CPU point of view because of
DB2 (especially if you are going to use server side de-duplication). Most
possible 4 cores will be not enough;

?     6.2.1 is much more heavy from I/O point of view (the best option is to
use different locations for database, logs, archives and data (device class
FILE), at least for database, log/archives and data;

?     6.2.1 requires much more space for database (maybe multiplied by 3), logs
(it depends, but you have to be ready to multiply it by 5) and archives (does
not exist in 5.X and has size at least as logs);

?     6.2.1 supports mirroring for logs and archives. Of course mirrored
logs/archives have to be on different disks. I will not advise you to use
mirroring initially;

?     6.2.1 does not support de-duplication on DISK device class - you need to
migrate DISK to FILE;

?     6.2.1 supports de-duplication only from 6.X clients (6.2.1 is preferable).

Kindest regards,

Grigori G. Solonovitch

Senior Technical Architect

Information Technology  Ahli United Bank Kuwait http://www.ahliunited.com.kw

Phone: (+965) 2231-2274  Mobile: (+965) 99798073  E-Mail: Grigori.Solonovitch
AT ahliunited DOT com

Please consider the environment before printing this Email