ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Upgrade TSM 5 -> 6 : pre-requisite

2010-07-13 21:41:11
Subject: [ADSM-L] Upgrade TSM 5 -> 6 : pre-requisite
From: dcpc <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 09:58:55 -0400
Hello,

We'll upgrade soon to TSM 6.x, and we need to change our server too.
Target : HP DL380G6 QuadCore Xeon E5520 at 2.26GHz + 6Go RAM

I'm confused about some pre-requisite found in the doc for the amount of RAM :
*  TSM 5.5 : 2Go RAM is enough
*  TSM6.x : 6Go Mini,  recommanded 10Go !
=> is DB2 so huge ? ?

Otherwise and more complex, about disk and configuration :
By default we'll have  3x300Go SAS (1 hdd can be added)

In local, we'll store the system, TSM server, TSM client, DB and logs.

Which configuration would you recommand  for this set of elements :
* type and number of raid(s) ?
* localisation of elements (principally DB and logs ?)
* use duplication for db and logs (mirroir) ?

Some informations about actual configuration on TSM 5.4.3 :
* DB : 13 Go used
* Logs : 2 Go used
* diskpool of 100Go on SAN (35% max used/jour)
* Filepool on SAN with "file tape" of 100Go (65% to 85% of 4To used)
* SCSI Library attached, used almost only for externalisation with DRM (the
file pool never migrate on LTO3).

Other data informations :
* 18 nodes :
- 16 clients (bkp duration between 2min and 2h)
- the tsm server backs up a part of a NAS (netapp) via NFS (4.4M files
analysed, 15Go bkp/day, duration 5h)
- 1 server backs up a part of a NAS (netapp) via CIFS (2M files analyzed, 2Go /
day, duration 1h30)

* 30Go backup / Day
* 88k files backuped / D
* 28k files expired / D

* auditocc : backup used : 5Go
* select count(*) from backup (long !) : 34M objects

Thx for answers !
David