ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] when TSM uses tape compression?

2010-07-07 09:02:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] when TSM uses tape compression?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:00:52 -0400
Specifying 3592C would be a change from your DRIVES specification, but it does
not necessarily represent any change over how TSM has been writing data to tape
for you: a spec of DRIVE *should* use compression.  Specifying 3592C explicitly
tells TSM what you want, with no ambiguities or vagueness, to assure what you
will be getting.

If your TSM clients are performing compression in sending the data to the TSM
server, or the data was in a compressed state to start with, then what you are
seeing is the limit of what you will get on each tape.  For perspective: in our
shop with 3592C and a good mix of data, we typically get 400 - 500 GB per
3592JA tape, where native capacity is 300 GB.

   Richard Sims