ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] when TSM uses tape compression?

2010-07-07 08:41:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] when TSM uses tape compression?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:38:26 -0400
Nothing happens to existing volumes: they remain as readable and writable as
they always have been.  TSM *should* have been writing the volumes to the
maximal capabilities of the tape drive technology; and the tape drive senses
the format used for partially written volumes so as to continue using them that
way.

Estimated Capacity has no functional impact on tape usage: it is used to
compute a Pct Util for reports of volumes that are Filling.  It is common for
volumes to be written to hold more than the Estimated Capacity number, as the
are filled until End Of Volume is reached.  (See Technote 1104698.)

    Richard Sims   http://people.bu.edu/rbs