ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 firmware/hardware issues

2010-07-06 13:29:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TS3500 firmware/hardware issues
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 10:27:59 -0700

> Let us know what you find.

Here's the final update, thankfully, to the problems I was having. All in all
it took almost 3 weeks for them to fix this problem.

With all the parts that were replaced there isn't any way for me to tell you
which were actually bad, but here's the list, and this doesn't include what was
replaced for the weeks leading up to this.

X cable
Gripper 1
The scanner
X motor
X motor belt

What was happening was that TSM was choking because the library inventory,
although fine 3 weeks ago, seemed to be out of whack so when TSM told the
library to mount a tape it reported the tape was not in the library and TSM
marked it as unavailable. I know that nobody had been in there to move tapes
yet when I tried to run an inventory from the web GUI it would pass sometimes
and fail others. The TSM audit did not turn up any changes when the inventory
did complete yet processes were failing left and right because the library
could not find tapes.

Even after replacing these parts TSM still kept throwing errors. I was being
told when I kicked off an inventory from the library web gui it immediately
went to a cell where a tape 'used to be' and failed with a gripper error. What
I don't know is how the inventory went after all the doors were closed while
they were here. What I also found out later was that they had removed tapes
from cells because they say the slots were loose and needed to be tightened and
did not put them back in their original location. Not a big deal since the
library is supposed to be able to inventory itself, and once complete I could
run an audit from TSM. The problem is not only were they NOT telling me
everything they were doing it looks like the library couldn't even perform an
inventory that TSM could update from.

We finally shut the library down completely on Friday afternoon and brought it
back up. That's something I wanted them to do much earlier because the way
things were acting it just looked like the library was totally confused. I
didn't say anything till Friday because I figured since I was told they were
the 'experts' I might as well let them do whatever they wanted, to a point of
course. They were constantly telling everyone the problem was on my end, which
I didn't believe for a minute. They kept telling me that because TSM had the
wrong location for tapes that's why it was failing. After I found out they
moved tapes around I agreed it 'could be' but because to me the library
couldn't even inventory itself how could they expect TSM to get a good location
for the tapes they moved. To go along with that NONE of the tapes that TSM was
reporting missing were the ones they moved so I told them, basically, they were
full of it.

Anyway at the moment everything is running fine. Hopefully it will stay like
that because I dread having to deal with these people again.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
SAIC M/S-B1P
4224 Campus Pt. Ct.