ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Select statement to only list backups with particular event status

2010-06-29 13:50:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Select statement to only list backups with particular event status
From: Lindsay Morris <lindsay AT TSMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:46:54 -0400
Joni, Query Events has other problems, too:

-- You might have a machine that isn't on any schedule, for example.  Query
Events won't tell you that.
-- You might have include-exclude statements, or domain statements, that
cause a directory or an entire drive to be skipped.  It won't tell you about
that.
-- You might have retention policies that are way too short (so you can't
recover from last week), or way too long (so you're wasting tons of
storage).  Again, no indication from query events.
-- You might even have machines (VMs?) in production that nobody ever
registered to TSM.  Nothing in TSM will tell you about that.

One thing you can do is stop using query backups, and use the filespace
table's backup_end field to find backups that are older than a day or two.
That solves some (not all) of the above problems.
We have a more thorough solution here
<goog_918866862><http://www.tsmworks.com/art>.

Hope this helps.
Lindsay Morris
CEO, TSMworks
Tel. 1-859-539-9900 <skype:18595399900?call>
lindsay AT tsmworks DOT com