ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers

2010-06-23 13:04:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers
From: "Sheppard, Sam" <SSheppard AT SDDPC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:03:37 -0700
We're in the middle of doing something similar. We have 17TB of windows
file/print data being backed up by 5 servers, total of 33M files. Several of
the volumes are almost 2TB with several million files and all of the problems
associated with that. So the windows guy is moving all of this to CIFS and
we'll (hopefully) end up with several smaller volumes.

We did some testing using TSM 6.1.3.4 and NDMP full/diff to TS1120 tape. Backup
times for 2 of the 3 test volumes was not that great, around 18MB/sec. The
third volume backed up in half the time. According to the Netapp guy, some kind
of contention/hotspot on the filer. This is backing up filer-server, not
filer-tape. And filer-server allows you to do all of the traditional
housekeeping tasks on the storage pools. Looked like it would be doable, until
we added up all of the problems:

1. As mentioned elsewhere, the differentials, though just a fraction of the
fulls estimate their size as the same as the fulls, so disk pools for the
differentials were out, meaning all of the dozens of differentials every night
would need a tape drive.  A big scheduling headache, but not a show-stopper.

2. We tested TOC to get individual file restore capability. Performance was
terrible; over an hour to restore one 50MB file. Only good news here is that
increasing the size and number of files restored did not have an equivalent
increase in restore time and the proposal was to keep enough snapshots to
restore back two weeks. So the individual restore would be a last resort.

3. It appeared the tape compression on NDMP data was not nearly as good as on
normal backups, leading to an increase in the number of tapes needed.

4. You will need a filer at your DR site to perform restores there.

There was not enough upside to counteract the downsides for us, so we are going
to use the SNAPDIFF feature for this application and use NDMP for a couple of
big applications that were using image backups. NDMP ended up being over twice
as fast for these.

Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668