ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers

2010-06-23 13:03:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers
From: Thomas Kula <tkula AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:00:44 -0400
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:51:14AM -0500, Prather, Wanda wrote:

> -I think NDMP is just a bad idea all over, if you don't have SNAPDIFF.
> You have a backup product with the architecture and capability to a)
> back up only changed files, b) keep different files with different
> retention rules, and c) dedup on the client end with TSM 6.2.  You give
> all that up and go back to something totally primitive with NDMP.

I would agree. Plus, NDMP just feels badly bolted onto the side of
TSM. And we ran into this as well, while NDMP is a standard,
everyone does is just differently enough that you get into that
ball of headaches. We have a rather large client where we're having
to do the "proxy-run the BA client on a box that has the space NFS
mounted" dance because while whatever appliance they have does
NDMP, it does it just differently enough that we couldn't get it
to work with our current TSM setup. So, if you're thinking of
NDMP you really need to try it first to make sure it actually
works before committing to it.

Like my collegue pointed out, we've been trying SNAPDIFF with
some IBM re-branded NetApp boxes and seem to be having good luck
with it so far.

--
Thomas L. Kula | tkula AT umich DOT edu | 734.764.6531
Information and Technology Services