ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers

2010-06-23 11:41:04
Subject: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:39:35 -0400
We currently use traditional windows fileservers, but are being presented with
an "opportunity" to start using a NAS device.
I've been reading up on NDMP, doesn't sound to me like NAS is the backup
admin's friend.
Can anyone who has gone down this road share any of the biggest
pros/cons/gotchas?
I seem to recall from several years ago that getting the backup data offsite
was an issue, but the NAS vendor claims this is no longer true.

Currently using half a dozen fileservers to manage about 20TB of user data.

Thanks,

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, Windows
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee
Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm