ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Linux Server/OS/lin_tape question/issue

2010-06-17 11:45:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] Linux Server/OS/lin_tape question/issue
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:45:19 -0400
Sort of off-topic but related to TSM.

We have an interesting anomaly and hope someone has see this and knows of
the reason for this problem.

All of our TSM servers are RedHat Linux using QLogic fibre cards.

Recently we upgrade our IBM3494 ATL and added 3-TS1130 drives, bringing
the total to 15-drives.

Of the 5-TSM servers, 2-see all 15-drives while the other 3-only see 14.
To make it slightly more challenging, the missing drive is NOT one of the
new ones.  When the server was doing san-discovery/searching the bus, it
simply stops at 14.

All servers are running at least version 1.20 of lin_tape, slightly above
the minimum required for TS1130 support.

Trying to figure out why the 3-servers don't see all drives, one common
denominator is the RH OS level...........they are still RH4.

We thought it might be the lin_tape driver level but of the 2-servers that
see all 15-drives, the lin_tape is still at 1.20, same as the other 3
servers that don't see all 15.

The 2-newest servers that see all 15-drives are RH5.

We are questioning whether it might be related to the QLA drives, not the
OS.

Any thoughts?
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator