ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Q about TSM 6.1 DB and hardware replication

2010-06-14 22:06:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Q about TSM 6.1 DB and hardware replication
From: Xav Paice <xpaice AT OSS.CO DOT NZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 14:05:40 +1200
----- "mccambly" <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM> wrote:

> Hello Wanda (& everyone),
>
> I thought I would revive this thread to see if anyone had any recent
> (hopefully successful) experiences with using hardware replication an
> a TSM V6.1+ server to achieve a standby DR TSM server, without needing
> to completely shut down the production TSM server.
>
> Has anyone found that it can (or cannot) be done?
> Details of your successful configuration would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> S.
>

> Wanda Prather wrote:
> > In prior TSM server versions, replicating the TSM DB and log using
> hardware
> > replication works fine as long as the DB and log are in a
> consistency group.
> >
> > Any issues with hardware replication of the TSM 6.1 DB and log?
> With
> > appropriate changes to dsmserv.opt, will a DR TSM server be able to
> open the
> > replicated DB and use it?  (Just a little nervous about what all
> those DB2
> > services will think..)
> >
> > Any insight appreciated!

I've tried a couple of times using TSM 6.1.2 on Windows, and found it
impossible to get the database to start.  I tried also with TSM 6.1.3 on Linux
and had more success, but couldn't tell if that was because I'd done something
right or if it was just that my 'nodeb' was simply a clone of my 'nodea' - the
Windows trial was on two completely different machines.

I'd love to hear if someone's had this going in a real live production scenario
yet - so far I've been making backups to a file devclass and replicating that
using hardware, then restoring at the DR location.  It's reliable at the cost
of recovery time.