ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and Cloud backup/recovery

2010-05-26 15:01:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM and Cloud backup/recovery
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 14:00:30 -0500
Hi Bill,
We had a couple "CLOUD" vendors in here pitching the same thing.
I think the real question is "Is it cost effective?".

Based on the cost per GB per month and other compliance requirements we have
that increase the "per month" cost, we found that our in house TSM solution is
more cost effective than using cloud services.

With our recent expansion the subject came up again.
This time we had real world numbers for annual cost from Iron Mountain for a
specific amount of data.
We are able to meet our DR and Data retention requirements with TSM for 2/3 the
cost.

But when you are talking in excess of 50TBs an in-house library seems to make
more sense.

If we have a remote site with substantial data and in order to support with TSM
we would have increase bandwidth, then the Iron Mountain solution would be much
more attractive.