ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM/TDP and MySQL

2010-05-18 13:05:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM/TDP and MySQL
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:18:50 +0200
On 18 mei 2010, at 16:23, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

> Thanks for the reference.  I should have mentioned I already looked at
> this.
>
> My bosses requirements are:     ANY product must be supported by
> IBM/Tivoli for usage on a TSM server. Point-in-time recovery is mandatory,
> or there is no point to using any product.
>
> From what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) about using mysqldump, it
> doesn't do/support this process.

it does. You can keep as many backups as you want, and make them as frequently
as you want. MySQL supports roll-forward of database journals IIRC, so if you
set the DB to roll-forward logging, archive the logs to TSM and make frequent
MySQL dumps, you can recover to any point in time. Of course, if your data is
that valuable that you need to be able to recover to any specific point in
time, investing in a commercial DB like db2 or Oracle makes sense.

API applications are all supported for usage on a TSM server. It's just that
the code using the API is not supported, so that part is up to you. That is the
way open source works....

Zmanda most likely uses the TSM API as well, it's just a commercial
implementation... So you pay for support rather than do it yourself.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl