ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX

2010-05-18 09:58:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Unicode on UNIX
From: Bjoern Rackoll <backup AT RRZ.UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:55:50 +0200
Hi Fred,

For my users with Unicode files on UNIX clients, I recommend this be added to
the startup scripts for the scheduler or CAD:

LANG=en_US

LC_ALL=en_US

export LANG

export LC_ALL

However, a user running CentOS thinks that en_US does not exist in that flavor
of LINUX, so he misses 1000s of files each night.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've written some documentation on this at http://www.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/serversysteme/unix-server/adsm-backup/benutzung-des-tsm-clients/faq.html

This page is unfortunately only available in German, but the main points are:

- Try 'locale-gen en_US' as root. Check with 'locale -a' if the required locale has been generated.

- If that doesn't work, add 'en_US ISO-8859-1' to '/etc/locales.gen' and proceed as above ('locale-gen en_US').

After completing these tasks, don't forget to restart the TSM scheduler. :-)

Regards,

--
Björn Rackoll
Universität Hamburg