ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Exclude/Expiration

2010-03-26 14:07:19
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Exclude/Expiration
From: "Jones, Eric J" <eric.j.jones AT LMCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:05:37 -0400
Good Afternoon.
We have a TSM AIX server running TSM 5.4 and a Windows 2008 running TSM client
5.5
We currently have 53 million files on a single partition and plan to break it
up into 3 partitions to help with backup times, etc..
The plan was to move about 1/3 of the data to the other partition, leave the
current data where is it for now and "Exclude" it from the backups on the
original partition.  Can I assume since around 16-17 million files will be
excluded from the original backup that the backup time will improve or does it
still look at those files during the inspection until they are deleted.   We'll
be backing up the new partitions with a separate backup session.   I was fairly
confident it would skip them during the inspection but some questions came up
and I wanted to verify.
 Also will TSM expire the files once I delete them from the original partition
and remove the "Exclude" or will there be any issues since it has not see the
files due to the exclude in the most recent backups.

Thanks
Eric Jones