ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ***SPAM*** [ADSM-L] Using tapeutil to examine cleaning tapes

2010-03-19 03:27:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ***SPAM*** [ADSM-L] Using tapeutil to examine cleaning tapes
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:27:17 +0100
On 18 mrt 2010, at 17:05, John D. Schneider wrote:

> Greetings,
>    This is a followup to Wanda's question about cleaning tapes on an
> IBM3584 library.  I wondered if there was any way to do it using
> tapeutil.  When I call tapeutil with:
>
> tapeutil -f /dev/smc1 inventory
> or
> tapeutil -f /dev/smc1 cartridgelocation
>
> either one will give me a report of all the slots in the library and
> what is in them.  But wait a minute, it is not a report of ALL the
> slots.  When I tried to use it to find out what slots had cleaning
> tapes, I found out that neither of these reports will show the cleaning
> tapes!  They show empty slots, and ones with tapes in them, but they
> don't show slots that have cleaners.  I suppose this is by design, but I
> can't imagine why.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to detect the cleaning tapes with tapeutil (or
> similar utility like ITDT), so we can determine how many cleanings are
> left?

as said before, with ALMS, the cleaners are owned and managed by the library,
they are completely invisible to the systems ,hey don't even take up slots in
the systems' library partitions. The only way to find out is through the great
web panels....

--

Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind regards,

Remco Post