ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DB2 Monthlies

2010-03-18 18:37:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DB2 Monthlies
From: Dave Canan <ddcanan AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 15:34:14 -0700
I just worked with a customer a few days ago in setting this up. I can give
a brief outline here what we had to do. If you have questions, we can trade
emails or perhaps set up a call. (I know you're in Australia, but maybe we
can figure something out.)

When you use TSM to do a DB2 backup, the environmental variable DSMI_CONFIG
is going to be looked at to determine the which server stanza in the dsm.sys
file to use. This, in turn, contains the nodename that can also be used for
the backup. Normally, it would be a simple matter of changing the value of
the DSMI_CONFIG variable to use a different stanza and then do the backup.
In this case, however, it's not that easy. If you change the name of the
file pointed to by the DSMI_CONFIG variable, you would need to bounce DB2 to
pick up the new value. But, that's not to say you can't change the *contents
*of what's in that file. As long as you change what's in the file, and not
the name of the file, you can do a backup to a different management class
without having to restart DB2.

So that's what we did. We are writing a script that will overwrite the
contents of the DSMI_CONFIG opt file before we want to take that particular
type of backup (daily, weekly, monthly, whatever) and then issuing the
BACKUP DB .... USE TSM" command. We then have a dsm.sys with multiple
stanzas, each with a separate nodename. Each node is going to be in it's
separate policy domain with just one management class that contains that
policy retention criteria. When we're done with the backup, we then flip it
back to the default stanza which for us is a daily full of the DB2 DB.

Hope this gets you started. If there are questions, post back to the
listserv and we can proceed from there.

Dave Canan
IBM TSM Advanced Technical Support
TSM Performance Support