ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] NDMP file level restore

2010-03-17 14:03:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] NDMP file level restore
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 11:02:02 PDT
We are testing NDMP/TOC in TSM 6.1.3.1. Backup is very fast and appears
to work very well. Restore of and individual file is a different story
altogether. We restored one 90MB file out of a backup of a 120GB volume
with no differentials. The restore took about 30 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out why such poor performance on file level restore.
My initial assumption is that since the backup is at the block level and
the NAS file system is write-anywhere, the blocks for an individual file
could be scattered all over the tape (TS1120).

Anyone have any experience/suggestions with file-level NDMP restore?

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668