ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore

2010-03-16 17:35:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore
From: Francisco Molero <fmolero AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:34:21 -0700
Hello Colleagues,

I have found all answer to my questions. And from my point of view are very
interesting and I would like to share with all TSMpeople.

1.- When one volume is reclaimed in this pool ( Pool with CG). How TSM does the
reclamation? moving files from one node from Volume to Scratch one or TSM moves
all nodes in the CG at the same time without distinction  ?

---- it moves it from all nodes

2.- When TSM restores files from these tapes. Does it restore all files in a
sequential way ?. I mean TSM is reading the tape from the beginning and if it
finds files to belong to this TSM Client from different directories it restores
independently of the directory which this files belong  or TSM server prepares
a list of file and it is looking one per one in the tape... or Which is the
procedure ?

----- it restores sequentially - so that it minimizes the tape movement.

3.- In case of migration, if we don't have CG TSM migrates files per node. What
happens if we have CG, it is per node or per CG ?

----  per CG

4.- In case we have a lanfree backup with 4 parallel sessions , is CG suitable
for this TSM Clients ?
----  sure, the better question is do they have enough data being written to
keep the tapes streaming, versus the advantages of writing to disk.

5.- Last question, in order to restore the client node. Are there differences
between these procedure and multiplexing competitors ones ? ...

--- yes.  for multiplexing, they have to rebuild each individual file.  THis
causes lots of tape positioning, and additional process to rebuild the files.
Multiplexing has a very large NEGATIVE impact on restore times.

Regards,

Fran