ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore

2010-03-12 09:52:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Collocation Groups Reclamation and Restore
From: Wolfgang J Moeller <moeller AT GWDG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:51:19 +0100
Francisco Molero writes:
>[...] I have some questions about Collocation Groups Reclamation and restore.
>
> First, my environment I have a Tape STGpool with 3 Collocation Groups and 10
> nodes per Group.
>
> 1.- When one volume is reclaimed in this pool. How TSM does the reclamation?
>     moving files from one node from Volume to Scratch one or TSM moves
>     all nodes in the CG at the same time without distinction  ?

I've always understood the activity log message
   "ANR1176I Moving data for collocation set <m> of <n> ..."
to relate to the number of passes done over the source tape.
I have not seen these numbers grow since we introduced
group collocation on a rather large scale ...

> 2.- When TSM restores files from these tapes. Does it restore all files in a
> sequential way ?.
>     I mean TSM is reading the tape from the beginning and if it finds files
> to belong
>     to this TSM Client from different directories it restores independently
> of the directory
>     which this files belong  or TSM server prepares a list of file
>     and it is looking one per one in the tape... or Which is the procedure ?

(Nothing to do with collocation groups, IMHO) TSM first prepares a list of
tapes,
then processes each tape once (and of course, sequentially). Same with EXPORT
NODE, MOVE NODEDATA, etc.

> 3.- In case of migration, if we don't have CG TSM migrates files per node.
>     What happens if we have CG ?

Once a tape has been mounted for a collocation group's data, all nodes in that
group are migrated.
At least when the source pool is of type DISK, I'd guess that files will still
be ordered by filespace and node,
just like they are by filespace in the case of collocation by node.

> 4.- In case we have a lanfree backup with 4 parallel sessions , is CG
> suitable for this TSM Clients ?
> 5.- Last question, in order to restore the client node. Are there differences
>     between these procedure and multiplexing competitors ones ? ...
>[...]

Can't contribute to these two questions.

Best regards,

        Wolfgang J. Moeller <moeller AT gwdg DOT de>

Tel. +49 551 201-1516 ... not representing ... GWDG, Goettingen, Germany