ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 3584 SMI-S agent

2010-03-11 10:34:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 3584 SMI-S agent
From: Rick Saylor <rsaylor AT AUSTINCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:25:49 -0600
I found the statement below in the "IBM System Storage TS3500 Tape
Library with ALMS: Introduction and Planning Guide (GA32-0593-03)",
pages 69 and 70. This probably applies even if your library isn't
ALMS enabled but I can't prove it. The feature codes 1700 and 1701
are for "Enhanced Node Cards". I hope this helps - Rick.

  New base frame models L23 and L53 come with support for the embedded SMI-S
  Agent. Other frame models, however, require upgrades in order to support the
  embedded SMI-S Agent. The following table displays the frame models and
  required upgrades.

  Table 20. Required upgrade for those frames providing Ethernet
attachment to the SMI-S
  Agent
      Frame model                                  Required upgrade
         L22, D22                      Installation of feature code
1700 or 1701
                                          or model conversion to L23 or D23
         L23, D23                                 No upgrade required
         L32, D32                      Installation of feature code
1700 or 1701
         L52, D52                      Installation of feature code
1700 or 1701
                                          or model conversion to L53 or D53
         L53, D53                                 No upgrade required

At 08:36 AM 3/11/2010, you wrote:
LM = Library Manager

>>> David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG> 3/10/2010 5:18 PM >>>
What is an "LM board" in the 3584?

David Longo

>>> Bill Boyer <bjdboyer AT VERIZON DOT NET> 3/10/2010 11:41 AM >>>
I've been trying to figure this out myself and ended up posting to the TPC
forum on IBM Developerworks. Here's a reply I just got:

Hi. You're exactly on the money - a later LM board is required than the one
you've likely got in your library.

It's still possible to use an external linux box with the SMI-S code on it
though. ALternatively, it may be possible to get a replacement LM (but I'm
not sure if that would cost you or not).

It's not a very well understood thing, but I've been through that loop
myself.