ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM Sysback using TSM Server

2010-03-05 10:19:12
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM Sysback using TSM Server
From: "Bruce T. Harvey" <bruce.harvey.nonemployee AT PNC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:14:31 -0500
I've been a fan of Sysback ever since it was a customer support option,
but I've got just a couple of questions with regard to integration with
the TSM Server.  I understand that you need to create a virtual tape
device on the client, that it uses separate exclude lists from the TSM
client inclexcl lists, and that it won't back up (properly) certain types
of filesystems or HSM-managed data.  My questions are:

1.      Do you also install Sysback on the TSM Server in addition to the
client?  With stand-alone Sysback, this is true, but with the TSM
integration does the TSM server already come with the knowledge that
Sysback might be talking to it?

2.      Does the TSM Scheduler initiate the backups or does the client run
a cron or scheduler job to do so using the virtual tape device?  The doc
seems to indicate the latter.

3.      Are the image backup sets stored as an image equivalent or as bits
and pieces of separate files?  Are separate tape types used in the library
or just part of the ordinary pool?

4.      Since I can't boot from tape in this scenario, are the CD and
network boot options behaving the same as with a stand-alone Sysback
server, point there and shoot until I get the Sysback boot menu?  Does
this mean that Sysback needs to be installed on the Server and the client
configured so that it can boot?

There seem to be indicators, but the hard-and-fast is escaping me.

Many thanks!

Bruce

Bruce T. Harvey
PNC Bank
office     301-699-4013
mobile  443-465-1204

The contents of this email are the property of PNC. If it was not addressed to
you, you have no legal right to read it. If you think you received it in error,
please notify the sender. Do not forward or copy without permission of the
sender. This message may contain an advertisement of a product or service and
thus may constitute a commercial electronic mail message under US Law. The
postal address for PNC is 249 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222. If you do not
wish to receive any additional advertising or promotional messages from PNC at
this e-mail address, click here to unsubscribe.