ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM time Travel

2010-03-01 10:40:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM time Travel
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:38:38 -0700
Greetings,
    My question is, is it necessary to use a production client for this
sort of testing?  Couldn't they use a test client, take backups, play
with the time however they want, and then when they are all done, just
delete that TSM client and all it's backups?
    Even during Y2K testing we used test systems whereever possible.
Those test systems were built out of the production systems so the
applications were just the same.  But in the event of problems there
wouldn't be any residual gotchas to contend with after testing was done.
    If it is absolutely necessary to use a production server, maybe you
could still use a test TSM client.  If the production TSM client is
called MYCLIENT, you could register a TSM client called MYCLIENT_TEST,
then on the day you want to time-travel, name the client MYCLIENT_TEST
in the TSM options files, and authenticate, and take a first backup.
    Then they can do any testing they want during the day, and any
backups.  Then sometime before the nightly backup comes along, switch
the TSM client back to MYCLIENT, and restart the services.  You could
switch back and forth every day they wanted to test if you needed to.
Eventually when all the testing is done, you just delete MYCLIENT_TEST
from TSM.
    The only problem with this plan is it still doesn't address the fact
that, while time travelling, MYCLIENT may get a bunch of files with
future dates.  This could still contaminate MYCLIENT's backup data if
steps aren't taken to touch each of those files to get the datestamps
right again, or restore them from MYCLIENT's last good backup to be
sure.
    Which brings me back to, why use a production server for this sort
of testing?  Wouldn't a test server be safer?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC
Office: (314) 635-5424 / Toll Free: (866) 796-9226
Cell: (314) 750-8721