ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM time Travel

2010-03-01 10:21:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM time Travel
From: Robert Clark <robert_clark AT MAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:20:47 -0800
Back during the run up to Y2K, I was doing storage/backup admin.

The team doing Y2K testing didn't tell us anything about what they
were doing, and they started to get weird results with attempted
restores when they took systems forward and backwards in time.

My first reaction was that they were endangering the production TSM
servers by testing against them. My second reaction was that they
needed to seek out a Time Lord.

Part of the problem was the havok the time travel rasied with
retention, the other part was the difficulty in figuring out what to
restore.

Our work around was to script a call to from the time-traveling
system to a not-time-traveling system to get the real world time, and
then use that text in the description of an archive.

When folks wanted to do a retrieve, all they needed to do was look
over the description fields to see what dates were available.

I was happy to see testing completed, and the archived filespaces/
nodes deleted.

Thanks,
[RC]