ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ACSLS Best Practices

2010-02-22 17:34:44
Subject: [ADSM-L] ACSLS Best Practices
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:33:49 -0500
Hello List

I'm using ACSLS libraries for the first time, in a couple of sites with
multiple TSM servers, multiple libraries. Some libraries are shared with
TSM library sharing, and some are not. We are having issues because we
can't use scratch tapes and must explicitly assign volumes to storage pools
and specify volume names on db backups and backupsets.

My predecessors set this up and I'm told that things are this way because
TSM under ACSLS can't tell the difference between the various generations
of LTO tapes and will mount the wrong tape generation. There are also
issues where two TSM servers share a library without a library manager
about getting scratch tapes recognized by the right server.

Is there any good documentation on ACSLS best practices with TSM?  How does
the ACSLS 'owner' concept fit into partitioning libraries?  What about
ACSLS scratch pools?  Do drives have to be dedicated to one TSM Server if
we choose not to have a library manager?

All responses gratefully received including RTFM, provided you can point me
at the relevant manual :)

Thanks

Steve

Steven Harris