ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SQL Query find nodes associated with management class

2010-01-28 12:59:51
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SQL Query find nodes associated with management class
From: Lindsay Morris <lindsay AT TSMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:58:14 -0500
Right, we did some magic on the dsmc client so it can masquerade as other
clients.
Then, from our ART restore-testing appliance, we can run "dsmc query
backup.." masquerading as each production node in turn, and do a restore
test on a randomly selected file from that node.

So ART can do random-sample restore testing on all 500 machines you back up.
(Sorry.  Marketing hat off.)

But I see this question here repeatedly: "how can I list all of my backup
files?"
And the answer is always "Don't do that, or tread carefully" like Richard
just said.

But our ART tool DOES have a way to list all the backed-up files, and their
sizes, and their management class..
... for ALL the machines you back up with all your TSM servers
... without hurting your TSM server's performance.

So why are people wanting to do this?
Hey, you lurkers who think about doing this: will you speak up and say why,
please?
What are you really after, reducing wasted storage?  tuning up retention
policies?
What?

Lindsay Morris
CEO, TSMworks