ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation for offsite storage pools

2010-01-28 07:37:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Reclamation for offsite storage pools
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 06:36:04 -0600
You might be running into what I've seen if you are performing your
reclamation via RECLaim STGpool.  If you have many very low utilized tapes
and you do not use an OFFSITERECLAIMLIMIT then it is possible that the
reclamation process will only yield another tape going off site and none
coming back.
Say you have 1.5 TB tapes (est capacity) and your off site copy pool is
mainly volumes that are 5-10% utilized (which works out to be between 75-150
GB's) and your drives can read/write at 200 GB/hr so to fill one new tape it
will take 7-8 hours and require the clearing of 10-20 ~offsite~ tapes.
TSM will look at ALL tapes that meet the threshold setting so if you have 30
off site tapes at 10% or less... unless you do something such as use an
OFFSITERECLAIMLIMIT of 5, TSM will start reclamation across all 30 of those
tapes and unless you allow it to run for at least 12 hours, you are unlikely
to get back very many if any tapes.

Syntax

>>-RECLaim STGpool--pool_name--+----------------------+--------->
                               '-THreshold--=--number-'

   '-DUration--=--minutes-'  '-Wait--=--+-No--+-'
                                        '-Yes-'

   '-OFFSITERECLAIMLimit--=--number_of_volumes-'