ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Long Expiration

2010-01-22 04:13:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Long Expiration
From: hdkutz <spambehaelter AT HDKUTZ DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:12:38 +0100
On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 01:03:52PM -0500, Richard Rhodes wrote:
> We are always fighting expiration problems.
>
> We've found is that it's  highly dependent on:
>    - number of files for the node
>   - number of inactive files for the node (ibm has a note about this)
>   - random access performance of your disk system
>   - what else the tsm server is doing when expiration is running
>
> What kills us is ever growing windows servers.  It seem as a node
> grows past 300k-500k files our expiration for that node skyrockets.
> But, nothing is consistent.  We have 3 TSM server with big nodes
> that have no problem with expiration, but we also have 1 TSm
> server that expiration runs 2days  (down from 4 days - still
> working on it!!!)
>
> I WOULD be highly interested in your script, if you would be
> willing to share it.
>
> Rick
Thank you, for your suggestions.
The Script resides on
http://www.hdkutz.de/betrieb/tsm/scripte/check_dauer_expiration.ksh
and contains German Language.
You need a Password file like
admin
mytsmpass
located at /var/tsm/scripts (or feel free to edit).
Also I use GNU date Command, which could be easily installed via RPM.

Cheers,
ku
--
Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi:
        The Force can have a strong influence on a weak mind.