ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Long Expiration

2010-01-21 13:05:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Long Expiration
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 13:03:52 -0500
We are always fighting expiration problems.

We've found is that it's  highly dependent on:
   - number of files for the node
  - number of inactive files for the node (ibm has a note about this)
  - random access performance of your disk system
  - what else the tsm server is doing when expiration is running

What kills us is ever growing windows servers.  It seem as a node
grows past 300k-500k files our expiration for that node skyrockets.
But, nothing is consistent.  We have 3 TSM server with big nodes
that have no problem with expiration, but we also have 1 TSm
server that expiration runs 2days  (down from 4 days - still
working on it!!!)

I WOULD be highly interested in your script, if you would be
willing to share it.

Rick

             hdkutz
             <spambehaelter@HD
             KUTZ.DE>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Long Expiration

             01/21/2010 12:07
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hello List,
I'am facing a long expiration Time on my TSM Server:

OS: AIX 5.3 TL 07
HW: Power6 4 CPU, 32 GB Mem
TSM Server 5.4.5
TSM Database 105 GB on SAN (DS8k) 2x4 Gbit Fiber Attached
TSM Log 13 GB on SAN (DS8k) 2x4 Gbit Fiber Attached

I wrote a small script which looks for Entrys in actlog to pull out how
long
expiration runs for a particular node. Here's the result:
<snip>
Top Nodes: (Expiration greater 30 Minutes)
AA Dauer Expiration: 345 Minuten Starttime: 01/21/10 11:54:16 Endtime:
01/21/10 17:39:34
BB Dauer Expiration: 88 Minuten Starttime: 01/21/10 15:59:48 Endtime:
01/21/10 17:28:00
CC Dauer Expiration: 74 Minuten Starttime: 01/21/10 12:09:15 Endtime:
01/21/10 13:23:34
DD Dauer Expiration: 37 Minuten Starttime: 01/21/10 13:38:10 Endtime:
01/21/10 14:15:30
Expiration runs: 347 Minuten Starttime: 01/21/10 11:53:57 Endtime: 01/21/10
17:41:29
<snip>
All other nodes (at last 54) complete Expiration under 30 Minutes, execpt
of
these 4 Nodes. One with 74 Minutes is our Central Fileserver (with Millions
of
Files).
The one that runs longest (AA) is a small HP-UX Machine with 300.000 Files.

What could be the reason for this?
Cheers,
ku

--
Luke Skywalker:
             I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you.

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.