ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5.3.0 --> 5.5.4.1 upgradedb running long?

2010-01-21 08:45:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5.3.0 --> 5.5.4.1 upgradedb running long?
From: Keith Arbogast <warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:44:28 -0500
Hi Christian,
Thank you for your note.  I killed the UPGRADEDB process after 3 1/2
hours and started dsmserv on the recommendation of TSM Support.  'Q
status' showed it to be running 5.5.4.1. Archive log backups
immediately jumped in, and ran successfully.  Other vital signs looked
normal.  Except, the tape drives were not working.  There was an
ANR8300E error whenever a mount request was issued:

01/20/2010 16:11:57      ANR8300E I/O error on library TS3500BL
(OP=C0106C03,
                          CC=207, KEY=05, ASC=24, ASCQ=00,
                          SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.0A.
00.00.00.00.24.00.00.C0.00-
                          .04., Description=Device is not in a state
capable of
                          performing request).  Refer to Appendix C
in the
                          'Messages' manual for recommended action.
(SESSION: 18)

The message is partially self-explaining.  The additional sense code
(ASC) means 'Invalid field in CDB'.  I cannot tell you what a CDB is.
I deleted the paths to the library and the drives, and deleted the
drives for good measure.  When I redefined all that, I backed up a
tape storage pool to test the drives, and that ran successfully.  I
have found no other abnormal conditions.

A core file was created when I started the rpm installation.  It did
not grow during the next 3 1/2 hours. The core file has not yet been
analyzed.  If something comes of that I will post it to this thread.

Best wishes,
Keith Arbogast