ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Estimating backups

2010-01-19 14:12:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Estimating backups
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:11:33 -0500
On Jan 19, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Bill Boyer wrote:

> Is there a feature or tool available that you can run against a server and
> get an estimate on how much data will be backed up? ...

Try  dsmc PREview  and see if it provides the info you seek.

> I have a client that backs up file servers over a WAN link and some nights
> the backup doesn't complete in the window allowed. They  want a way to know
> if the backup won't complete that night.

An in-client preview can't tell you how long a networked backup is going to
take or gauge the effects of a large Incremental contending for memory with
other apps in the client system, where paging can cripple a backup.  I'd advise
performing analysis to identify the slowest ingredients in your backups and see
if they can be addressed.  Exploration of journal-based backups or target area
backups may be in order.

   Richard Sims