ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing LANFree data Movement - WIN Storage Agent Server Requirements

2010-01-14 18:28:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Implementing LANFree data Movement - WIN Storage Agent Server Requirements
From: David McClelland <tsm AT NETWORKC.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 23:27:16 -0000
Yes, you'll certainly need Fibre Channel cards for your Storage Agent client
- the whole point of LANfree data movement is that data is being moved
(backed up/restored) does not traverse the LAN but instead moves directly
between the host and the data storage device (be it tape or, more rarely,
SANergy disk etc), thereby reducing LAN contention, removing potential LAN
bottleneck and hopefully improving data throughput. You'll need a transport
other than the LAN in order to achieve this. I've only ever implemented/seen
this with fibre channel SAN for which FC adapter cards are required.

Hope that helps, and I hope I've understood your question properly!

David Mc
London, UK