ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] VMWare and TS1130 tape drives

2010-01-07 16:28:48
Subject: [ADSM-L] VMWare and TS1130 tape drives
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 16:21:23 -0500
We are doing some serious looking at our "dr" (or BC) plans.

One thought for an offsite TSM server would be as a VMWare guest and/or
multiple guests.

Since an absolute requirement would be a TS1130 tape drive (to restore the
DB),  the question came up about whether you could virtualize the
TS1130/drivers so a Linux guest VM  could access these drives.

If this is doable, has anyone done such a configuration, that actually
works?  What did it take?

How about multiple TSM servers on one box (VM or real hardware)?  How
would they share the tape drives - only through library sharing as we do
now?  What if I had to cram 5-TSM servers on one VMWare (or hardware)
guest, since our current configuration splits our 3494 library between
2-TSM library manager servers?

Another thought was to have a "warm" VMWare TSM server running offsite and
doing DB backups via server-to-server storage pools but was considering
how much work it would be to rebuild another VMWare TSM server from the DB
backups on this VMWare TSM server?

Looking for any input/feedback on folks who have gone down this path,
either successfully or not!  If I have to go back to management to say
"gotta have a physical server and tape drives to even think about
recovering/rebuilding a TSM server offsite", I need to justify/back it.
Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services