ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options

2010-01-05 14:23:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Disparate Client Options
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:22:51 -0500
On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Lindsay Morris wrote:

> True, unix to unix works, and windows to windows too. Osx and netware are
> oddballs, but not so common.
>
> But we build an appliance that wants to "dsmc restore" from ALL the nodes on
> a TSM site, windows and unix both, to spot-check recoverability. Dsmc blocks
> cross-platfrm restores (windows vs unix at leadt), and for no good reason,
> AFAIK.

Well...consider what's involved.  The good reason is that a fully
cross-platform client architecture would have to include full programming for
the universe of file system types accommodated on all the supported platforms -
and additionally would have to adeptly provide a meta layer of emulation of the
wealth of system calls associated with the file system which is not native to
the receiving platform.  That's an enormous amount of development and testing
and maintenance.  I'd rather that their energies went toward things like 64-bit
clients, and administrative API, and long-overdue evolution of the terribly
neglected CLI.

   Richard Sims