ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Linux client memory woes

2010-01-05 04:49:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Linux client memory woes
From: Michael Green <mishagreen AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 11:47:21 +0200
Folks, turns out that whereas 64 bit clients for Linux PPC and Zseries
are already available, it's not for x64 arch. Moreover, there are
currently no plans for development the 64 bit version of BA client for
Linux x64.

Just to remind you that x64 client is required to overcome the 4GB
memory limit of the 32 bit BA client on Linux x64. Such ability would
allow for backup of much more objects within the same scheduled
process without having to resort to the help of awkward workarounds
such MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP.

The TSM support person (who was very responsive by the way) who
received my PMR is ready to file a so called "Design Change Request"
on my behalf. Within that request I need to formulate a Business
Justification, where I highlight how important this could be to my
business to get such a change in the future.

As I'm not very good at writing "Business Justifications", I would
appreciate your input/ideas on this matter.
--
Warm regards,
Michael Green