ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs

2009-12-30 20:28:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] alternatives to TSM due to license costs
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 20:27:40 -0500
If you have a lot of Windows clients, look at TSM's FASTBACK.  It is also
disk only, but I believe is cheaper than straight TSM.  Does
incremental-only, block-level backups.  Might save you $$ and not be as
drastic a conversion.  You could keep your non-WIndows clients as they are.

ALso consider if you are planning to move to a Virtual environment sometime
soon, a lot of your TSM licenses will disappear.  You only pay for the TSM
licenses on your ESX server(s), not a license for each client image.

At least if there is the possibility of virtualization in your future, be
sure to compare what the costs will be AFTER virtualization, between TSM and
other products.