ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NFS as a storage pool volume

2009-12-29 12:19:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NFS as a storage pool volume
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:17:05 -0500
You don't say what kind of beast this network attached storage hardware
actually is - are we talking Netapp, EMC, other?

You need to run the performance tools that are available with it and look at
how busy its NIC card is and what kind of performance you are getting from
its cache.

I have seen this kind of behavior before from network attached storage when
the backstore is SATA disk (relatively slow), and the cache is not large
enough or cannot keep up with the demands on it.

Esp. with SATA disk It makes a very big difference whether you are
reading/writing relatively small blocks that get a large percentage of cache
hits, or long sequential streams that have to read every byte from a single
disk with none of the data coming from cache.

And given it's ISCSI, you'll also have to look and see if there is any
strange behavior on whatever switches the I/O is going through.

TSM.