ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Removal of archives

2009-12-21 07:31:02
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Removal of archives
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:28:49 -0500
There is no inconsistency in the data between the TSM server and client, in
that the client maintains no information about archived files: all information
is in the TSM server database.

The common reasons for not seeing files from the client are that the files
belong to a different node or username than is being employed in the client
lookup operation.  If operating on someone else's files, be superuser in order
to accomplish it.  And you will not see Archive files in Restore, because they
require Retrieve.  I'd recommend performing a 'dsmc query archive' operation,
meaning command line, rather than using the GUI, for best results.  Note that
some of the objects you may be trying to remove could be directories rather
than files, so allow for that.

There have been some unusual circumstances with Archive files over TSM
releases, as you can see in APARs research, which sometimes require running
special utility commands; but eliminate trivial causes of your lookup issue
before contemplating looking into that.

   Richard Sims  at Boston University