ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM write_errors on LTO3 tapes

2009-11-16 11:50:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM write_errors on LTO3 tapes
From: Nicholas Rodolfich <NRodolfich AT CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:46:50 -0600
Hello All,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!! It is appreciated!

I have a client with a TS3200 less than 6 months old. They received a media
attention  indicators on their library last week. On investigation I found
2 volumes with write_errors. I moved the data off of them and retired them.
The tapes were purchased when the library was implemented so they are
relatively new as well. I manually cleaned the drives with the on board
cleaning cartridge. Now today I see 6 more volume marked bad by the library
interface and they too have write_errors in TSM. I guess I wonder

Why this started all at once?
Qhat the ramifications(other than the obvious ones) of these write/read
errors are?
When/how are these generated and when should action be taken?

Regards,

Nicholas