ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] different cartridge sizes in one library

2009-11-14 10:47:23
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] different cartridge sizes in one library
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:46:41 -0500
That will work fine.

The LTO standard says that any drive can read *and *write one generation
back, can read 2 generations back.

So LTO4 drives can both read and write LTO3 cartridges.  (You still get the
speed and capacity of LTO3 on those cartridges.)

Your LTO4 drives can read LTO2 cartridges, but not write to them.

If you upgrade your drives to LTO5 in the future, then your existing LTO3
cartridges could be read, but not written to.  So it would be easy to read
the data to convert to LTO5, but you could not write to the LTO3 cartridges
again.